Monday 30 December 2013

Setting GOALS

We all say we set goals, have NewYears resolutions or  plans for the following year but how serious do you take this list of goals for the following year?

I thought I would share with you how I set my goals and how I plan to achieve them.

I first started writing GOALS/DREAMS out 5 years ago with a 5yr dream list, It was a time that I had less than nothing I was at the bottom and  had nowhere to go, I couldn't go further down so I knew I was safe where I was but didn't like it there very much!!



I shut my eyes and dug deep into what I really wanted so I came up with MY DREAM of owning my own gym and then a plan of things I could do there and then that would work towards my dream.
It was vital that I worked backwards from my dream so I could plan the route I wanted to take otherwise I would have been going forwards but blind to the opportunities I would need to take. you see when you know the path you need to take you will put yourself in the right places.

MY Plan of Action  


  • Own a gym 
  • Become a Personal Trainer
  • Do a Personal Trainer course        Each of the Goals had mini steps between them
  • Save money to achieve dream
  • Get a job that was semi flexible 
Getting a job was easy from then on each of these goals took almost a year and none of them were easy to stick to, there was ups and downs but I had nothing to lose it was the only thing I had to focus on so with pure determination I stuck to what I wanted and now I am at the top of my dream list! 

What did I learn from my 5 year list? 

I learned that by writing goals down from the dream backwards I knew what path to take and each time I hit a mini goal on the way to the dream I knew I was going in the right direction and this EXCITED me because I was going to achieve something I thought was only a dream.
My suggestions to you

  • Write down on a piece of paper what your biggest dream is
  • Trace your steps backwards to what you can do right now
  • Fold that piece of paper up put it somewhere safe
  • Make a note of the first goal for the year
Now you know what your goals for 2014 should be? give yourself mini goals of how to achieve that one key goal towards your dream, some of them may be drink less, exercise more, change job, move area or make new friends
"things will only change for you when you know they need changing"
 "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result is insane"  

Now to give yourself deadlines look at the year 2014 in quarters (view it from a different perspective) 
the first quarter are the cold months of January, February & March these months are when you should be building your foundations and bridges to what you want "NO Castle was built on poor foundations" then we have the second and third quarter spring and summer, these months are full of energy so you should be looking to use your strong foundation to go out and try and achieve your goal for the year! 
Now I always try and get my GOAL for each year done by september, it is 9 months from now, you will have used a lot of energy working your socks of trying to get your goal!! so before the nights start getting dark and the energy levels of the summer drop try to reach your goal by september, then in the final quarter of the year October, November & December relax from pushing all your energy out you've achieved your first mission you need to regroup ready for next year enjoy your victory.  


So for 2014 I wish you the best of luck reaching your GOAL & mini goals  


1 comment:

  1. Good advice there Ian. You've done really well for yourself and serve as good inspiration to others. Hoping to get myself into shape this year and maybe start making a life plan. All the best for the new year and i hope its a successful and healthy one for you mate.

    ReplyDelete